Erik, Huey, Zeke and Croesus

Geir.Hasnes@DELAB.SINTEF.no Geir.Hasnes at DELAB.SINTEF.no
Sun Jan 22 11:00:37 CET 1995

DON:

>I have no idea who wrote that article, but it's all 100%
>accurate... somebody did a good job.

It was written by Erik Hoerthe, a school teacher who is also a Disney
collector, and who has been used by the Norwegian staff to write some
factual pages to the Norwegian Donald Duck edition the last year. (The same
who arranged the exhibition on Barks last summer.) A good friend of mine, I
visited him this autumn, even though he lives a bit out in the country. He
has also appeared on TV in a program about comics and how to teach about
them.

HUEY:

About Huey - I have a book: Donald Duck by Marcia Blitz, where some
storyboards and prelim sketches to the first cartoon with HD&L were shown.
In one of them, we see the kids present themselves, and Huey says: Hello, I
am Hughey.

That settles it, doesnt it?

DAVID:

About the Big Bad Wolf and his Jewishness, a discussion about a year ago I
think. One thing is that he is called Zeke, or short for Ezekiel. However,
I read a book: Disney Animation - The Illusion of Life, by Frank Thomas and
Ollie Johnston, this Christmas. They stated that the Studio had made fun at
the time with the Jewish salesman stereotype, who "gives away free sample",
and that they later found that it was no longer proper to show this, and
they redrew the sequence before rereleasing it.

(I do not imply that Zeke Wolf is a Jew, only that he played a Jew!)

CROESUS:

Once again a fantastic story from the master hands of Don Rosa. On
rereading it, I especially noticed the dynamic and well-chosen changes of
perspective from panel to panel, and also how each panel in itself was
especially expressive and filled with what the Disney studio called The
Funny Drawing.

That Mr. Rosa continually fills the columns of this digest with his harsh
remarks about his own art fills me with agony. A digest is pr def something
that is digested before written, so do not ask us to digest such gripes and
groans, they are hard to digest when we love your stories so much. To those
who love to read Dons stories, the Croesus story is absolutely in the top
ten IMHO.

Geir Hasnes