Disney animation, answers, theories

Dixon H Chandler dchandle at mailer.fsu.edu
Wed Jul 5 21:46:17 CEST 1995

The QUESTION:

> If Pocohantas is Walt Disney's 33rd  full length animated film, what are the
> other 32?  So far this is what we came up with:

I've been puzzling this for awhile, too.  Glad somebody asked, since here
are MY answers.

> Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Alice in
> Wonderland, Robin Hood, The Rescuers, The Rescuers Down Under, The
> Aristocats, 101 Dalmatians, Fantasia, Aladdin, THe lion King, THe Little
> Mermaid, The Black Cauldron, Beauty and the Beast, Oliver and Company, The
> Jungle Book, The Great Mouse Detective, The Fox and The Hound, The Sword and
> the Stone, Lady and the Tramp, and Peter Pan

BUT NOT:
>  Mary Poppins, Roger Rabbit and so forth but they are live action with
> animation and I don't think Disney considers them.   Also the was some
> question about Duck Tales the Movie, The Goofy Movie (with I don't think they
> consider).  Lastly there are several they don't make a big deal about: the
> Winnie Pooh cartoons, Wind and the Willows, Disney Christmas Carol.

I _think_ Disney would consider The Three Caballeros, since it's mostly
animation, with some live action, unlike Mary Poppins, and Rober Rabbit,
which are vice versa.

I think the Winnie Pooh (and the Honey Tree, 66, and the Blustery Day, 68)
DO count, tho they're pretty darn short to count as features.  They count
because they were realeased theatrically.  Weren't they?

Likewise the Disney Christmas Carol.  Don't know about Duck Tales The
Movie and The Goofy Movie.  These were released _after_ Disney started
putting stuff on video (and numbering their "full-length features"!), but
haven't been factored in.  Not counted in the numbering subsequent to The
Little Mermaid, that is.

Which brings up:  What about The Return of Jafar?  Full-length, not
theatrical.  Not counted in the numbering.  This would seem to bolster the
argument for _Jafar_'s not being considered, but goes against the two
TV-tie-in movies (Duck Tales and Goofy).

I don't know about The Wind and the Willows.  When was this released?

Now.  There are at least one, maybe two, "full-length animated features"
which have been butchered and released by Disney in pieces to the home
video market.  Melody Time (1948) consists of the following unlinked
sequences:

"Once upon a Wintertime," "Bumble Boogie," "Johnny Appleseed," "Little
Toot," "Trees," "Blame it on the Samba," and "Pecos Bill."

I THINK there was a "full-length animated feature" titled _Foot Loose and
Fancy Free_, but I can't locate any documentation at the moment.

(The mid-length cartoons "Mickey and the Beanstalk" and "Paul Bunyan" MAY
have been a part of _Foot Loose and Fancy Free_, but I'm not sure.  On the
other hand, the former may have been sandwiched, originally, with "The
Wind and the Willows"--which I believe is correctly titled "Mr. Toad's
Wild Ride, at least Disney's version--and the latter may have been a
segment produced for the Wonderful World of Disney.)

What a mess.  Will the other members of this list add their opinions?

Thanks,

-dc
dchandle at mailer.fsu.edu