List of CBL-changes

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Tue Jul 11 01:27:14 CEST 1995

Hi all!

For those who are interested, here's my list of changes in the Carl
Barks Library. Additions are very welcome, although not very much fun
to hear... :-(

*    Land beneath the ground: Changes due to restoration in
     CBL. Original panel without added caption is printed
     apart from the story.

     For those who don't know: A lot of pages were cut before the
     was printed for the first time. The CBL succeeded in getting some
     of them back, but they had to add a caption to a panel to fill in
     the "new" art.

*    Island in the Sky: Censored dialogue? The original dialogue
     about Columbus is not changed. (David mentioned something about
     this loooong ago.)

*    How green was my lettuce: Silhouette of Scrooge is
     *deleted*. Balloons are added, changed and deleted to fill
     in the original art. The "original" pasted art is also shown
     in CBL. I think the CBL did the restoration very good.

     For those who don't know: Before first publication, two pages
     were cut from the story. The CBL got 1 3/4 of the art back, but
     they had to change some art of the printed "original" version to
     fill it in again.

*    Santa's Stormy Visit: Redrawn.

*    Donald Tells About Kites: At least some art restored or redrawn.

*    Too Many Pets: Restored, you can see the thick black lines.

*    <steamboat-race> (USGTD 1): Logo "Uncle Scrooge" added
     on first page in CBL.

*    A Cold Bargain: CBL has changed heads of Brutopians? I
     heard there was something censored.

*    Peaceful hills: Original art in CBL?

*    Balloonatics (WDC): In CBL page 7 is the only one to be
     restored, or are there more?

*    Treasure of Marco Polo: Dialogue censored. One panel changed,
     Harry knows which one.

*    The Golden River: Page deleted by Barks is added in the
     story in CBL, the panel he draw to replace the page is
     shown somewhere else. No art itself is changed.

*    Trick or Treat: In page one a caption is shortened due
     to restoration of the original art. (A lot of pages were cut
     before the first publication).

*    <lost dollar-bill> (WDC 63): The "rings" shown above the
     heads of the ducks (last panel) are deleted in CBL. They
     were added by the editor before first publication. Did
     the CBL have an evidence for that?

*    Captain Blights Mystery Ship: Uncensored in CBL?

*    Medaling Around (WDC): Splash-panel is bigger in height.

*    Voodoo Hoodoo: Faces of natives changed. Zombie's nose is
     changed and his ring is gone. It's possible that the dialogue
     referring to the ring (quiz-master) is changed. (In the Dutch
     version something about the ring is said.)

*    Bongo on the Congo:  Panels 7.7, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 are censored.
     Hair of natives is changed and/or removed. The bones through
     their "noses" are gone.

*    Darkest Africa: Redrawn. Natives changed, a panel removed.

*    Atom Bomb: Last panel is censored, bottles instead of a cash and
     combs instead of money. The art is redrawn, but it's pasted in
     the original lay-out of the story.

*    DD and the Boys (WH 845): Restored, see those thick lines.

*    Race to the South seas: Redrawn. You can see the Dutch name
     "Kwaak" on the boat in one panel.

This is my list of changes I've noticed, either by myself or by
comments of someone. I don't know if it's complete. Maybe we can make
a definitive list together?

I still wonder why "Darkest Africa", "Race to the South Seas" and
"Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" use the original balloons, but not the
original art. The balloons don't look that bad. But it is clear that
the CBL preferred clear lines above original vague lines. :-(

Greetings,

--- Daniel