The worst of Barks? (was: Defending Venus...)

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Thu Jul 20 16:20:00 CEST 1995

> I just wanted to say that I don't agree on the "Interplanetary postman"
> beeing Barks' worst story! I think it's quite funny. Admittedly it's quite
> negligant of simple economics, but that wouldn't be the first time...
>
> Can't really say what my candidate for the title would be (never really
> thought about it), but I'll keep it in mind...

Interesting question, this. Among the 10-pagers one of my candidates
would have to be 'Billions to Sneeze At' (WDC 124). Sort of surprising,
because this is from the classic period when Barks supposedly could do
no wrong... I find this one to be surprisingly dull and, well, heartless.

Possibly the Danish/Swedish publishers thought the same, because after
its initial run here back in 1951 it wasn't reprinted until 1990. Normally
the time period between reprints is about 20 years -- this one waited twice
as long.

As for longer stories, the worst one I can think of right now is 'Billion
Dollar Safari' (US 54). Less surprising, I suppose.

But all this is off the top of my head, I haven't really thought *that*
much about it...

Anders Engwall
---
"N{r atombomben kommer, l}t oss ta en kasse |l
 och g} ut i skogen med tills det blir fred"