Disney-comics digest #730.

Bob Wright ARCHIMEDES at delphi.com
Mon Jul 24 05:42:35 CEST 1995

   >Are you referring to panel 7 on page 9? That would mean this line is
   >also censored, in the CBl the line is "Shows you can't trust these
   >cheap watches made by McDuck enterprises!"
   >Humourous or not, I still think this story is a very political one
   >for a Disney publication. (But that sure *doesn't* mean I that I don't
   >like it!)

DANIEL: This is getting  interesting.   What  "censored"  version  are  you
comparing the original with?  Yes, in the original the soldier says, "Shows
you  can't trust these watches from the workers' paradise!" I'd guess there
might be more  "changes",  for  instance,  were  native  faces  redrawn  to
eliminate "oriental" eye shape or a "buck-toothed" look in the mouth?
        I dug out my copy of US 134  and  had  another  look.   Talk  about
irony!   Take  a  look  at the panel where a soldier says to Wahn Beeg Rat,
"Eraser squad A is waiting, Sir!" The structure behind the squad is labeled
"THE WALL".  If you have some knowledge of 'Nam vets lingo,  many  of  them
refer to the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial in Wash, DC as "THE WALL".