Architext

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Fri Jul 28 11:19:52 CEST 1995

>There has been talk about risk of increased public exposure. The
>risk that noone will dare saying anything controversial anymore.
>But please remember that our archives already are perfectly public.

That's exactly what I think we should keep in mind, especially when it comes
to discussing personal matters of people not present on the list, leaving a
unilateral view archived forever...

>Does anyone think that we should remove the archives?

No!

>Or make them
>available to list members only? The latter, although theoretically
>possible, would be very difficult and in any event, Per does not
>(and cannot) have any control whatsoever of who joins our group.

As you say, not a very realistic idea! But I think there is a great
difference from having an archive that will be found by especially
interested people and having one that's sent around to the whole word, where
they will see our messages simply because they made a search for "egypt",
"mariner" or "weasel". Also I'm afraid that you after such a search will end
up with that one message only, leaving you with a small fraction of an
ongoing discussion and thereby missing the context. If you access the
existing archives, you will more probably look through several messages from
the same time and get a more "full" understanding of the subject.

>Now, do
>we want to help them making money (by being able to claim that they
>have n+1 mailing lists archived)? I say no, and for this reason
>alone I vote for not letting them have our list.

Now that was a strange thought to me! If someone can make money by doing
something that only gains me, I don't really mind about that! But who cares
about the reason, the important thing is we agree on the answer!

So Per, have you decided yet? You are the only one who can decide this, you
know, and I don't really think anyone would blame you for saying yes! Maybe
some people will stop contributing (I won't stop!), maybe in another tone,
maybe it's no difference? But I _would_ like to know what you answer them!

Anyone really _wants_ to let them archive us?

P.S.: For those who know what I mean, I guess you can envy me: I'm going to
Sweden for a concert with Leningrad Cowboys tomorrow!

P.S.2: Just to have something more directly Disney-comics-related: The last
extra for Norwegian DD&Co. includes an old classic "U$'s money". He changes
all his money to bills and stores them in an old water tank. The strange
thing is that the BB don't have the usual numbering with only 1s, 7s and 6s.
There is 176-045 and even one 167-666! But I guess you all knew that and I'm
just showing who little _I_ know :-)

Have a nice weekend!

Knut Hunstad