This month's "Previews"

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 23:34:43 CEST 1995

      I went by two comic-shops today.  One, which doesn't get
Gladstones due to some legal hassle from Fleetway (publishers of the
infamous MICKEY AND FRIENDS), had gotten their comics in;  the other,
where I was expecting to find WDC&S 598, hadn't.
      But the one without Gladstones did have a "Previews" catalogue
which mentioned some upcoming Gladstone comics:

      DD 294 has "The Dye is Cast" (the 1957 Barks 10-pager in which
Gyro's off-red and water-colored dyes wreak havoc on the water
resources of Duckburg) and the usual AT strips.  The cover was shown
and is a reprint of AT's cover to WDC&S 17 (1942), although that
wasn't noted in the advertisement.
      DD+MM 2 has "Special Delivery" (the 1956 Barks 10-pager about
HDL being blocked by a lion from delivering packages) and part two of
"Mickey Aladdin".  A page, which actually looks like the first page
of Part 1, was shown.  This looks to be from the same crew that
brings us the GO-history series (as I expected).  Mickey is Aladdin,
Goofy is the Genie, and Pete is the Sultan (JUST as I predicted).
      USA 35 contains Ben Verhagen's "The Treasures of Temple Khaos".
Here's disney-comics mailing list at work:  Harry's Database revealed
the story, I sent it in a list to Gladstone, and Dwight translated
and dialogued it.  Gladstone couldn't have done it without us, so
it's got to be good.  ;-)
      COL 2 (solicited as "Walt Disney Giant #2", suggesting that
this may in fact be what the series has been retitled to) is titled
"Uncle Scrooge in Arabia."  Beautiful cover lettering and, for once,
a cover made of rearranged Barks art that really looks nice.  John
Clark told me that Bruce Hamilton edited this issue.  The first half
of this 48-page issue contains Barks' "The Mines of King Solomon."
The second half... welllll....
       The second half...
       What else do you think would comprise the second half of a
comic book titled "Uncle Scrooge in Arabia"?
       That's right, a full reprint of the 1949 Disney/Whitman Little
Golden Book "The Cold-Blooded Penguin."  An illustrated text story
with that penguin from Walt Kelly's "Three Caballeros" story (and the
film itself).  Around 20 pages of penguins, in fact.
      Dwight, you're our only contact with Gladstone right now.  I
can't call them because it costs $4 per minute from here.  Maybe you
want to call them (I can't do so, for various reasons) and see if
something (like moving the material that was to have comprised the
second half of this year's now-cancelled 64-page US issue) can be
done?  I'm sorry to say it, especially because I personally like old
Disney story-books, but I think that reprinting a Little Golden Book
without a single Duck in it in the back of this comic may be
commercial suicide (no matter what the quality of the penguin tale
itself may be).
      COLLECTORY is apparently what's going to determine Gladstone's
position from now on on "whether or not oversized issues sell".  This
is a critical situation.

       David Gerstein
       <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>