Don in Cologne

Danny Coenen f.coenen at kfa-juelich.de
Mon Jun 12 10:19:47 CEST 1995

Last Thursday I met Don Rosa, and I thought it might be of
interest to give you a brief overview of what he did during
his stay.
When I arrived at the comic shop there were already dozens of
people aged 13 to 50 standing outside waiting for Don. After he
arrived at six o`clock he took place at a prepared table
surrounded by Barks oil-paintings and received a well-made cake
formed like a dime with Scrooges (3-D) head on it. Then everybody
who has subscribed on to a special list was called to him (Well,
not all at once). As there were about 70 fans he could only do
a drawing of a Duck`s head after your wishes and sign up to five
comics. Although he said that they were of less quality as he had
to hurry so that everybody got his picture, they looked very good.
There were people with self-made Don Rosa albums, one with the old
"Don Rosa`s Comics and Stories" albums and even one with a comic
from Thailand with American subtitles. After more than two hours
waiting it was finally my turn. He drew a young Scrooge holding
up his first gold nugget- very good looking- and signed my Lo$-
albums. Other intersting drawings he did during the evening were
two Glittering Goldies, three Magicas de Spell, some Donalds sick
of love for Daisy, one Gladstone and of course a lot of Scrooges.
Unfortunately we had not much time to talk, but he gave me some
answers to the recent discussings on the list.
--- Huey, Dewey and Louie`s father does not appear in the Lo$.
--- The reason for Scrooge`s dead in 1967 is simple: It`s nothing
    else than the date when Carl Barks retired from drawing comics.

He`ll be back around the next weekend, I`m sure that he`ll tell us
more about his expressions.
...and what about you guys??? He said that I was the only one of the
list he met during the hole first week.

Have a nice day,

Danny Coenen
f.coenen at kfa-juelich.de