Dutch Donald Duck #25

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Mon Jun 19 09:27:27 CEST 1995

Daniel:
> I recieved my new Donald Duck Weekly # 25, yesterday. It [contains] the
> first set of stickers of Don's Family Tree (redrawn here).

Plus some not quite accurate explanations of who the characters are, as
I expected...

> The first story (H8860, 10 pages) is about Donald finding a ancient
> vase with the inscription "...ade...ongkong" on it. He thinks it says
> "Jade from Hongkong". But soon he learns it is "Made in Hongkong!"
> Eh... oh! That was a *joke*!

Actually, I thought it was quite funny. Not the joke itself, but the way
Donald reacts.

> (To make it even more boring, the gag is
> explained as foot-note, because it's English.)

I'm sure this footnote was not in the original script. There was no
caption reserved for this. An editor must have decided at last notice that
English is too difficult for little children.

> the story was too dull to read IMHO. The art is not bad.

I thought this was quite a good story. Script by Jan Kruse, who did a lot
of worse stories in the past. His working title was "Archeologica" (also
too hard for little children).
The story code should have been H 8866, not H 8860.

The art is by Jaap Stavenuiter, who did quite a good job imitating Barks in
1949. Jaap is also drawing for the magazine "Razzafrazz", of which
Frits Leenheer is an editor. This explains the notes "Leenheer Oud Papier"
and "Lees [Read] Habbakrazz" on the first page. Jaap expected (last October)
that the editors would white this out, but they didn't.

> Chip'an Dale-story (WDC 2, 6 pages).

This code in the comic is obviously wrong. There should have been 2 more
digits. Sigh. How am I supposed to update my Database properly if they
keep printing wrong code?

> it's one of those "Chip an' Dale and a girl"-stories.

I wondered if this would be the first story with Chi-chi. Chip 'n' Dale
don't know her yet; she's to be a new neighbour. But maybe this isn't
Chi-chi? She has no name in the story.

> it's just me giving a frankly review of a story.

Tastes differ, apparently!
--Harry.