Indexing stories

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Thu Jun 22 22:15:29 CEST 1995

Knut:

The whole index is in the "index" subdirectory at the ftp server,
and the "index/original" subdirectory contains the files the rest of
the index files there are made from.  Instead of getting all of them,
why not just fetch one of them, like one of the Swedish ones (se-*.dbi)
to look at.  That should be similar to what Norwegian entries would
look like.  Also, you'll want to look at index/legend.

> - Are norwegian references included in the database?

 No, there are no Norwegian references as of now.  Note though that
*usually* the Norwegian, Danish and Swedish books are the same
(nowadays).

> - Is there any interest in including references from the DD Pocket books
(and Mammoth book(s))?

Well, I'm interested in having indexes of *any* Disney comics.
And I think index coordinator Harry mostly agrees with that.

> - If not, how would I find out what story code a story has in the
magazines that where printed before the story codes where in the first
panel?

When no code is listed it might sometimes be possible to find the same
story published somewhere else *with* the code.  In Marten Olsen's
"Det Store Index" (the big index) of Danish Disney books (published in
Carl Barks & Co.) there are codes for many stories that didn't have
any codes listed in Sweden anyway.  I think he often found the codes
in Dutch publications of the same stories.

> - What is the easiest way to get the information into the database?

Talk to Harry!

> - Has anyone thought about getting links from the database to articles from
> the mailing list and other trivia about stories?

As I guess you know there may now be summaries for the stories shown
on the page for them before the credits.  In the same way it would be
possible to associate any kind of trivia with a specific story.
I've thought about making it possible to have WWW links to individual
postings to this list (perhaps together with some kind of search
facility to make it possible to look for articles where Fethry is
mentioned or something like that).  Then those trivia texts could
include links directly to relevant postings, for example to the
creator's own remarks about the story or whatever, just as you
visualized.

Not that I'm on my way to actually implement this very soon, but
as you're asking about it: yes, I've also thought along those lines.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"