Disney-comics digest #597.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 12:24:13 CET 1995

      DON:  Yes, Gladstone is actually using the (never-paid-for)
WDCiC cover.  The comic is apparently in the shops now, or so Mark
Semich has told me.  I sure look forward to seeing it.
      Are there other covers which you drew completely but which
Gladstone or Disney rejected?
      Another thing about Gladstone's planned album series of your
stories:  please get them to use your covers for "The Duck Who Never
Was" and "From Duckburg to Lillehammer" which didn't show up in their
American printings.  And you might also have them use your third
German cover for the LO$ album series, because unlike the others, it
is substantially different from the Gladstone version.
      The one thing that I don't like about the CBLDD albums is that
they do not print Barks' original covers to the stories, which in the
case of these long adventures are often excellent.  I don't like the
WDC&S covers nearly as much, but I wished they included more of
those, too.  We got the Gyro covers and the (Carl Buettner) cover to
"Riddle of the Red Hat" as full-page illustrations.  Why can't we
have anything else?  Does the cover of album 9 include the cover to
either "Lost in the Andes" or "Voodoo Hoodoo"?  I find the former
cover to be my favorite Barks cover.
      (IMHO, a very small image of the original comic crammed into
the lower left corner of the album is not a genuine reprint of the
cover.)

      GOOFY BEETHOVEN is not, as far as I know, among those which
John Clark is going to be using.  He tells me that after the current
one, there will be a break for a while as a few Danish stories, and
that Italian which-way story, are used, and then the next Goofy story
will be "Goofy Ulysses."  That sounds more promising than those to
date, but what do I know?
      Also, is someone implying that the ones published in DM (and
the earlier GOOFY ADVENTURES) have had elaborate BORDERS trimmed off
the edges of the pages?  I saw some albums of these stories at
Fabio's house, and "Goofy Frankenstein" (aside from having about 12
pages cut out completely in Disney Comics' version!) didn't actually
have the art itself altered.

       JORGEN:  So we have a sequel to "Fossil Hunters" this week.
That gives me a lot to look forward to -- since they ALWAYS print the
week's Mickey offering in Britain (where Mickey is quite clearly more
popular, although that doesn't mean much in the country's very child-
oriented Disney market).  At last, another good Mickey story!
       IMHO, the worst thing about these dreadful British weeklies
is their letter column.  In an issue I saw about two years ago (near
the start of Fleetway's run) they were answering Disney trivia
questions quite accurately there.  Now half of the column is loaded
with poems, written by readers, which simply list the characters they
like in a rhyming sing-song.  The other half of the column is a huge
illustration of a prize which kids can get by sending in their poems.
I'd feel insulted even if I were still a kid.
       There was a Mickey/Goofy one-pager about fishing, done by Noel
Van Horn, in a recent British weekly.  Did anyone else see this in
their local Egmont rag?  It was very funny and given the way Mickey
talked, I'd guess that it -- like "Hocus Pocus Hypnosis" -- was
probably written by John Lustig.

       Next week we get U$A -- and I haven't even seen DD yet due to
my Scots comic shop's slowness.  I'm anxious to see how well you drew
my cover idea, Don!  ;-) ;-)

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>