King $crooge the first

Anders Engwall Anders.Engwall at eua.ericsson.se
Fri Mar 3 07:33:59 CET 1995

Harry Fluks:

> For Anders, and others who don't have the CBL (and don't have xerox copies,
> like I do 8-): here's the original script of the *ending* of the story (the
> numbers refer to panels):
>
> 5. Swami becomes very wrinkled and aged.
>    Kid points: "Hey! Look! The king is turning [crossed out: into an]
>    old, OLD -"
>    Swami looking toward open doorway.
>    "My armies are DUST in the desert out there!"
> 6. Swami going into desert a bent, old man. Swami: "I go gladly to join
>    them! Everlasting life, GOOD-BY!"
> 7. Don and S by treasure pile. Don: "Well! The one-time KING exchanged
>    THIS TREASURE for a handful of gray powder!" S in treasure bathing.
>    "Yeah, after living forty centuries anybody'd be a NUT!"
> 8. Kids looking askance: "Maybe - or very, very WISE!"

Hm, obviously the last page wasn't that much changed after all! This is
basically what the published version looks like, except for some changes
in the layout (panel 5 above has become #4 and split into two, and panels
7 & 8 above are merged into one, covering the entire last row). The only
semantical (or whatever you want to call it) change is HDL's last remark,
which has changed into (roughly) "And SOME are at a much younger age!"

/Anders