Answer

Cdoberman@aol.com Cdoberman at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 22:03:57 CET 1995

Sherline Lee: <I wonder if anyone has ever mentioned Disney comics (as
published by Marvel) in the United States. Is this a no-no for this list?>

The Disney Comics you mention are actually published by Gladstone in Arizona,
and distributed to 7-11s by Marvel.  The reason you read so much about
European comics in this newsgroup is because the European Disney comics fans
are MANIACS ;)  They've been reading Disney comics everyday of their lives.
 So they know a LOT!!  They'll notice things like a heavy-handed black
outline around Scrooge's billfold and identify the art as being by Vicar or
some other idol of theirs.  They LOVE Disney Comics so much in Europe that
they'd rather read them than do most anything, including going to
EuroDisneyland.

American readers are different.  First of all, there are fewer of us:  latest
count has us at about seven readers altogether -- 4 of us are online.  Adding
you to the national total makes 8 readers.  Welcome aboard!  Secondly, you're
the only one with a college education.  The rest of us move our lips when we
read Disney Comics by Gladstone (Marvel), and that slows us down.  We move
our lips with a Scottish brogue when we read Uncle Scrooge.  Excuse me -- I
mean Uncle _$_crooge.  Fourth, we're not good counters.  So, Gladstone only
publishes 3 covers a month (any more, and we might forget to by them because
it would be too many titles to keep track of). And C) we spend most of our
time trying to read through the lengthy comics, most as long as 32 pages --
at a page a day, it takes over a MONTH to read just one comic book, let alone
three.  And when an epic 62 pager arrives, well, forget it.  We're so busy
reading, we never have time to post messages.  Don Rosa posts a lot, but
then, he's a writer, so he knows how.  (Incidentally, Rosa lives in the U.S.
but because he writes more than Americans can read, he has to work for Egmont
in Europe in order to make a living).  By the way, Rosa will be interviewed
in Hero Magazine.  We're all counting down the days.  Hopefully the interview
won't be more than a page or'se I'll get way behind on my Gladstone reading.

Well, it's taken me two days to write this message, so I better quit.  Just
to say, anything you'd like to share about the comics you read in America
will be welcome.  Most welcome.  Most, most welcome.

LOL,
Wes

"But, Mickey, it's SUICIDE!  We'll be KILLED!  How'll we ever land without
wheels?" Captain Doberman