Answer

Neal Kinney nkinney at netcom.netcom.com
Fri Mar 10 01:57:17 CET 1995

And then Cdoberman at aol.com wrote:
>The Disney Comics you mention are actually published by Gladstone in Arizona,
>and distributed to 7-11s by Marvel.  The reason you read so much about
>European comics in this newsgroup is because the European Disney comics fans
>are MANIACS ;)  They've been reading Disney comics everyday of their lives.

[snip]

I've taken the liberty of cutting Cdoberman at aol.com's response at this
point, not because I didn't find it delightfully humorous and the perfect
answer to the very question I myself was about to put forth, but because we
American readers (that brings the total to 9) have difficulty digesting such
lengthy dissertations without picture panels.  Since Cdoberman at aol.com
concludes with:

>Well, it's taken me two days to write this message, so I better quit.  Just
>to say, anything you'd like to share about the comics you read in America
>will be welcome.  Most welcome.  Most, most welcome.

... I will assume that this IS the place to ask a question that has
perplexed me for some time.  I have been a fan of Uncle Scrooge since that
day when I had the flu and missed school and dad brought me home a Donald
Duck comic book.  The publisher at that time was DELL and the main story
within was titled "Christmas On Bear Mountain."  Since I am now 52 years old
now, you can appreciate the general length of time I have been puzzling over
this question.

This question involves The Beagle Boys, Inc. (whom, I suspect, surfaced some
time in the early 1950's from the pen of Carl Barks). I could not have
helped but notice that in nearly every respectable rendition of those
villians, DuckTales not included, they are identified with some variant of
the number 176-176.  I have concluded that there must be some special
significance to this numbering sequence, otherwise the Beagles would be
enjoying a much broader range of monikers: 928-416, 580-141, 364-829 (I
could go on...)!  Attempts to "decode" the number by assuming 1=A, 7=G and
6=F produce a short series of three-letter words that fail to enhance these
ruffians in any way.

Please, please... so I can at put this puzzling mystery behind me, what is
the significance of The Beagle Boys' 671-176 numbering system?

Sincerely, Neal Kinney