Disney-comics digest #609.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 17:01:35 CET 1995

      DON:
      Besides the shoe-shining incident in "Hawaiian Hideaway," the
tied-up BB in "Message from Mysterious Island" (US 8, skunk-cabbage
story) mentions 30 Beagles at one point, I believe.  It may be in one
of the two pages that got cut.
      Someone may be interested to know that when I use more than
three Beagles in the story, I always put Egmont's three (167, 671,
761) in the forefront.  For example, in my upcoming "Return to
Morgan's Island."

      Pat Block and Ron Fernandez distinguish between Huey, Dewey,
and Louie quite distinctively.  They make Huey the thoughtful, brave
one, and Louie (I think) impetuous and cocky.  I don't remember
what attributes they give Dewey.  Then they note who's who in blue
pencil on the art, so that the colorist can color them right.  Sadly,
any such attempt will fall apart in every other country's use of PB
stories, because Egmont will color a version and Oberon will color a
version and... and... [etc]

      An article about Scarpa in some 1st-series Gladstone named a
few of the characters who haven't yet appeared in actual English
translations of stories.
      Paperetta Ye Ye = "Dickie Duck"
      Filo Sganga = "Jubal Cock," but Van Horn just used him in WDC
597 and gave him a (very different) English name.  If we're willing
to accept Van Horn's use as an anomaly, then Scarpa's English name
can stand (although Disney would probably frown on a character with
the last name "Cock" just as they disliked my story being called
"Bugged by Humbuggery".

      HARRY:
      Can you "grep" the old digests for the first reference to Moe
by name?  We found the "Moe" first, when someone saw that a translator
didn't quite obliterate the name from a sign.  Then the next day, an
Australian reader, his memory refreshed, gave the full name.  He
might have spelled it "Hardhaid Mo" at first, then corrected it to
"Moe" -- but what I want to do is find out once and for all what this
character's full name is!  Hard or hog?  I'm finishing my story with
him now and I want to make sure everything works out right...

      I'll be back at least once, folks, before leaving for the
States for a couple of weeks.

      Best, David