Disney-comics digest #656.

ADEBLIEC@drew.edu ADEBLIEC at drew.edu
Mon May 8 17:59:18 CEST 1995

A few unrelated things:

I just finished reading through the past week or two's worth of digests.
It's a lot of fun saving them up for one big reading. =)

Re: Duck Daze
Methinks it would be best if Uncle $crooge weren't included in it at all.
After hearing what their plas are for HDL, I'm not sure I'm ready for an
Uncle $crooge who would probably walk with a cane, watch Matlock, and
complain about his Social security check.  Updated for the '90s? Feh.

Re: Rangers List
I, too, am a member of the list, and found it to be a very friendly place,
even if there is too much praise for some of the shows.  (I haven't taken
too kindly to any of the recent Disney Afternoon shows, besides Gargoyles.)
The things I've heard here are, shall we say, not very encouraging.  But,
to tell you the truth, I'm not keeping up with the list these days.  I'm
waiting for Gargoyles to come back, and then I'll start posting like a mad
man again.  Sorry for the digression to an old topic...

Re: Only a Poor Old Man
It doesn't get much better than this.  This ranks right up there now with
my favorite Carl Barks $crooge stories.  The art is crisp and clean, with
lots of money bin scenes, $crooge jumping through his money (my favorite
bit), and that terrific panel of the money blowing through the dam.  Great
stuff.  So great, I had added a quote about it to my .sig for a while.
(Which reminds me - the automated .sig will be the wrong one for this
message.  Whoops. Sorry about that.)

DAVID: Agreed on WVH completely.  (Well, I can't be too sure of your
comparisons to Barks' mid-1940s works as I'm not THAT much of a scholar -
yet.)  But you are absolutely right when you say the charm of WVH's
stories revolves around the clever language and captions.  It's like using
comic books for a pocket thesaurus.  Fun stuff.

DON: Too bad Gladstone didn't see fit to print that lengthy letter about
you latest Lo$ story.  I would have loved to see it, even if as a text
piece.  I'm a nut for scholarly readings of comic books.  (Have I been in
college too long? ;)

I had posted something in rec.arts.comics.misc about how I could vote for
Lo$ in nearly every category.  I recently received an e-mail from
someone asking me about the series, since he enjoyed the DuckTales cartoon
so much and remembers reading the comics when he was younger.  It's like
DuckTales and Lo$ are linked now, in possibly bringing someone back to
the comics.  I hope he decided to jump on the bandwagon. =)

-Augie
-my last .sig included this quote:
"If you've got comfort, I'll take vanilla." -Donald to U$

Augie De Blieck Jr. - Keep VR.5 Alive! Write: John Matoian, President,
Drew University     - FOX Entert. Grp., Box 900, Beverly Hills, CA 90213
		    - 			_and_ vr5 at delphi.com