Disney-comics digest #657.

Mike Pohjola mikep at freenet.hut.fi
Wed May 10 17:30:28 CEST 1995

JORGEN:

>That's just some Finnish idea. Some people do everything for money,
>even declaring that some more or less mythical character lives a
>certain place he, to my knowledge, has nothing to do with.

	Well, the original idea of Santa Claus comes from (this goes a bit
far from Disney-comics, but I'll say it anyway) The Saint Niclas who gave
gifts to children. I don't know where the idea of Santa living in a snowy
place comes from, but it is quite popular to my knowledge (i.e. Northpole,
Finland etc.) And the whole Fennoskandia and surroundings have for a long
time, I think, believed that Santa lives in some far-off cold land such as
the Finnish Lapland. Just in reasent years have the Swedes tried to make a
Christmas Land and say that Santa lives in Sweden. What's your point of view?

HARRY:
>The REAL Santa Claus is of course Sinterklaas, who lives in Spain!

	That's absurd! What's he doing in Spain then?-o Swimming in sun-shine
and feeding Rudolph the Bull?->

	Yes, there are some Swedish speaking people in Finland. And yes,
Kalle Anka is available in the best equipped stores in Finland and can also
be subscribed here.

>And are the Sames the same Sames from that Eurovision contest song
>"Saamid Aetnan" (which was, I think, a Norwegian song) ?

	"Are Sames same Sames" ;)
	Yes, I suppose so. Samish people are in general the native Laplanders
and as I suppose you know, parts of Lapland are in Sweden and Norway (maybe
even in Russia) too.

Sorry, lost your name somewhere:

>SAMPO!!!
>"I got yer Sampo right here!" - Crow T. Robot, _Mystery Science Theater
>3000,_ Comedy Central cable network.

	Yes, Sampo. Is there something particularily hilarious in it? Is there
a joke here I'm supposed to understand?

--

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie