Something more on Italian Disney Comics from an Italian cartoonist.

Gianfranco Goria - Anonima Fumetti - Italian Cartoonists Society goria at inrete.alpcom.it
Wed May 24 09:42:47 CEST 1995

Hi!

>        I couldn't tell you whether any of your stories have been published
>outside of Italy or the United States. But I CAN tell you that none of your
>stories, and no Italian Disney comic stories, have ever been published in
>America.

Dear Don, since five or six years Italian Disney stories are published in
the USA: e.g. on Goofy Adventures you may find stories written by Bruno
Sarda (from Turin, Italy, the creator of Arizona Goofy) and drawn by Massimo
De Vita and others, and Gladstone published stories written and drawn by
Romano Scarpa (Venice, Italy).
H.W. Fluks (fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl) has a list (maybe partial) of the
Italian stories published in the USA.
Dwight Decker (decker at agcs.com) talked me about another Italian story, a
"which way" one, to be published by Gladstone (MM and the secret of the Old
Castle).
May be the problem is that our names are confined at the end of the comic
book and the nation is not indicated?...
We produce more than 400 new stories each year (each story is long about
30/35 pages), and the Walt Disney co. Italia does not pay us the rights when
the stories are reprinted, so they don't make us know when and where they
are reprinted, even in other Italian magazines (the WD has in Italy about 30
different Disney magazines)!
Dear Don, I DO know that Egmont pays lots more! Sigh!... This is one of the
reasons why Marco Rota (from Milan, Italy too) does not work for the WD
Italia anymore, but for Egmont...
The problem is that our Italian Disney publisher is... the Walt Disney
Company!!!
Well, thanks for the address: I'll try to contact Byron.
Best wishes and have a good day!
Gianfranco.