Disney-comics digest #676.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun May 28 06:19:00 CEST 1995

MIKE:
        Where did you get the idea that "Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies"
was the first Duck story I ever did?
        Also, I wasn't waiting to do the "Lo$" until some specific time that
I thought I had "established" myself. I did it when the "political"
situation developed where Egmont wanted to do it before somebody at Disney
Disney Comics did it. I had some notion to do something like it in the back
of my mind, but I wouldn't have seriuosly considered it for years yet due to
how difficult the task would be, how slow it would be to do, and the fact it
wouldn't pay extra (this stuff all pays the same to everyone). I wasn't
anxious to get into it... and the number of pages I got done in 92 & 93 were
not so many as before or after. However, it was fun to do... just not very
profitable.
        And don't get the impression that you need to have read "Lo$" part I
to understand "Of D and D and D". I did the latter story at a time when I
never knew I would be doing the "Lo$", so it makes fine sense all by itself.
I expect you'll be seeing it soon.

BOB:
        Yes, I have been turning old Pertwillaby stories into Duck stories
ever since my first Duck story in 1987. The Pertwillaby stories (done as a
hobby for fanzines) were not done first as Duck stories, as you say... but I
had always pictured them as Duck stories.
        But which ones were they? "The Son of the Sun" was an almost exact
copy of a Pertwillaby adventure. "Last Sled to Dawson" had elements of
another. "Incident at McDuck Tower" came from two pages of another. "The
Universal Solvent" was from another Pertwillaby adventure which, in turn, I
had done the original version of around 1959 in my own lil' private comic
books. And the story I'm doing now (titled either "The Once and Future Duck"
or "A Calisota Yankee in King Arthur's Court") is a copy of the last
Pertwillaby adventure which I never actually completed in fanzines back in
1977. And there's still bits of a few more old Pertwillaby stories that I'll
use in the future as the basis for some Duck adventures.