Guardians of the Lost Library

daniel van eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun May 28 15:00:35 CEST 1995

DON:

I've just read "GotLL" in the Donald Duck monthly here in Holland.
I've enjoyed it. I like all those back-ground details. After reading
your stories for the first time, I always search through the story to
find to the ones I didn't notice while reading. Even after that, I
still see more details while re-picking up a story! (For example, the
mices in GotLL kneeling for the lantern.)

I have some questions about GotLL:

Which facts in the story are really happened? You give so much
details about the library being moved and copied through the
centuries, that I do believe it really happened (untill the last
moving: The library being moved to the Duckburg area).
There was especially one detail of which I think it must be true,
because there was no reason to say it: In Constantinopel a nephew
says that the library is shrank. The reason why I think this is true,
is that this comment didn't add anything to the story itself. Anyway,
the given reason *why* the library was shrank is very vague to me
("Maybe they skipped the plays.") So, what is true and what is made
up by you?

While searching the library Scrooge runs into a soccer-stadium during
a soccer-match. At a certain point someone says that it is not
forbidden by the law to dig during a match. Then the referee points
out why the rule (digging during a match) was scrapped, which made no
sense to me. Can you tell me more about this scene?

I'm curious to see the original message on the sign in Scrooge's
office (panel 2, page 21, first version). In Holland the joke was
quit funny: "Look out! Slippery! Bribe-money!" The word "bribe" in
Holland also means "grease".

Harry bought for me the GotLL-Gladstone, so I will read that version
in the near future. (But the "original" seemed okay to me.)

HANG GLIDERS BE HANGED
======================

Does anyone of you know about this Barks-story? Barks made it as a
synopsis during the seventies, maybe at the same time he made "Go
Slowly, Sands of Time". (You can read the synopsis in CBL1.) The
story is also published as a comic, coded D6886. The artist didn't
follow the synopsis very close, but the plot is the same.

SCROOGE AND THE ASWAN-DAM

This is a story Barks rejected in an early stage. The only remains of
the story are two letters he sent to friends/fans in about 1962,
revealing some of the story. The story Barks made to replace "Aswan
Dam", was "The Golden Nugget Boat" (US 35). As far as I know Barks
didn't make any art for "Aswan Dam", but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe those two items are some of your interest, or am I telling some
facts that everyone here already knows?

Daniel  (age 21, the youngest member of Disney-comics?)