Christmas-gnomes

Mike Pohjola mikep at freenet.hut.fi
Mon May 29 13:03:26 CEST 1995

	Come to think of it, this could as well be made a private conversation,
but where's the fun in that, right ?-)

DANIEL:

>Grandma tells the others she forgot to leave a plate with pap one
>*Christmas* and then everything went wrong. As far as I know you'll
>get the same problems with the Christmas-gnomes when you forget
>leaving a plate at Christmas. That's also a reason for me to think
>the gnomes in the story are those Christmas-gnomes.

	What is 'pap'? Anyway, in Finnish mythology, the Christmas-gnomes are
something like Santa's Little Helpers who not only help him make the presents,
but also observe children and make marks of good and bad deeds of the year and
come with Santa to deliver the presents. There are those 'Trick or Treat' gnomes
in our myths also but they have not much to do with Christmas-gnomes.

--

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie