Santa's Little Helpers, continued

daniel van eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Mon May 29 11:49:28 CEST 1995

MIKE:

Sorry, I sent the message to you (again), instead of to the list.
I've corrected that, because I now know how to keep a copy myself.

> >Grandma tells the others she forgot to leave a plate with pap one
> >*Christmas* and then everything went wrong. As far as I know you'll
> >get the same problems with the Christmas-gnomes when you forget
> >leaving a plate at Christmas. That's also a reason for me to think
> >the gnomes in the story are those Christmas-gnomes.

>     What is 'pap'?

My dictionary told me it was an English word (the Dutch word is the
same). Ehm, how can I explain? Do you know the word "porridge"?
That's "pap".

> Anyway, in Finnish mythology, the Christmas-gnomes are something
> like Santa's Little Helpers who not only help him make the presents,
> but also observe children and make marks of good and bad deeds of the
> year and come with Santa to deliver the presents.

But... don't they want that *porridge*? I've heard of some Christmas-
characters in Scandinavie that want porridge at Christmas. BTW. The
gnomes in the story say nothing about observing children (in the
Dutch dialogue).

---Daniel 2