Banned?

Paulo Barreto Paulo_Barreto at digi.AX.APC.ORG
Wed May 31 08:29:20 CEST 1995

DON:

  }        Anyway, all the Disney-banning we are talking about goes on only in
  }America. They excert no control over the foreign comics.

        Maybe.  As I told to DvE, Brazilian comics are strictly
controlled in a way or another.  I have the 1950-53 _O Pato Donald_
facsimile collection and I realize those story versions are nearly
unrecognizable as the translation has been changed (and verbal abuse
reduced) between each reprint.  In 1981 Brazilian translators decided to
add some substandard colloquialism to make text nearer to real-life
spoken language, but something/someone (guess...?????) had them put it
down in a few months (thus favoring the old-fashioned language in which
Donald et al. speak like flaunting eggheads).  Older physical-abuse
stories have been seldom reprinted (if at all), and new translations
make average language become milder and flatter with time.

        There is a case of probable external censorship to Brazilian
Disney: although being very popular, Canini's Jose Carioca comics around
1972-78 were considered as "nonconforming to Disney standards", dropped
in favor of another artist/concept/environment and seldom reprinted
since.  There was no abuse in those stories; I think they're absolutely
OK.

           _____m__(0/\0)__m_____  P.C.Barreto
                                   mad at digi.ax.apc.org
----1111 * Nao procurem os defeitos, encontrem as solucoes.