Blood In Duckburg? :-)

Paulo Barreto Paulo_Barreto at digi.AX.APC.ORG
Wed May 31 08:29:20 CEST 1995

Ave ALL!

        At last I'm back to public discussion...

DvEIJMEREN:

DVE}There's always a lot of talking about Disney banning stories or
   }subjects. Maybe we can also talk about published material that Disney
   }obviously "forgot" to ban.

        Well, I'm currently working on episode 7 of an "alternative"
text-only echomail serial titled "Sangue em Pato'polis" (Blood in
Duckburg). Up to this extent, a human mob tries to break $crooge's
monopoly on clandestine toilet bowl market, a couple of plain normal
humans infiltrate in Duckburg, Beagle Boys successfully rob the entire
money bin, $crooge dies, Daisy tries to kill Donald's nephews/has an
accident/aborts future egg, and Gyro Gearloose reveals Superduck's
secret identity.  (Unfortunately, the story is currently available only
in Portuguese) <G>

        Actually, although it's unlikely this serial would ever get
under Walt Disney's signature, Disney code is strictly followed in
Brazil.  I've never seen anything similar to those "sex-hungry Gus" or
"beer-drinking Donald" stories, but they care a lot for the basic
standards as a whole and for those physical/verbal abuse issues (that is
apparently valid for comics only; as David Gerstein knows, cartoons go
unbanned).  Editora Abril, the local Disney comics publisher, has the
right of (and often does) change the whole translation text when
republishing a story; some changes may be mandatory for currency reform
purposes, but at times the 50's or 60's language gets completely
outdated and demands radical changes.  So they also change some of the
context, supressing insulting or blasphemous expressions of earlier
editions.

           _____m__(0/\0)__m_____  P.C.Barreto
                                   mad at digi.ax.apc.org
----1111 * Nao mato aulas; elas e' que me matam ...