Disney-comics digest #843.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat Nov 11 17:53:32 CET 1995

	DWIGHT:
	I'm not sure who does the Whizbang lettering.  When it is
credited, they give it a GAG credit:  "Lettered by A. Machine."  I
wouldn't like that if I'D been manning the computer, but I imagine
it's a voluntary decision to use the gag credit, on the part of the
person who did the lettering.
	These aren't the first computer-lettered Disney comics.  David
Cody Weiss' lettering on MICKEY MOUSE ADVENTURES (and the backup story
of DDAD 1) was computer-done, but he constructed the font himself, I
believe.  Disney used it a lot in their earlier days.  Unlike
Whizbang, this font had a special subfont for sound effects.
	Sure wish I lived two hours away from Gladstone.

	There have been lettering errors in my hand-lettered stories
too, so it isn't the domain of computers only.  In "The Money-Counting
Machine" (USA 34), Scrooge used the phrase "long ago" in two
consecutive panels;  the second one was supposed to have been "then
and there".  And as I've mentioned, in "A Car-Gone Conclusion" (DDA
31), Donald was missing an entire word balloon on the last page, with
the result that it wasn't clear why he'd brought those bill collectors
into Scrooge's office.  You can see the space where the balloon should
have been, in that panel where DD is holding up the pointer fingers of
both his hands.
	Maybe Disney made the changes, though?  Sometimes they make
linguistic alterations that I can't really explain.  I got a look at
the process when I saw a Disney-edited manuscript for one of the two
original stories I've made for Gladstone.  (On the other hand,
Disney's editing revealed a major plot error I'd left in my story, so
I'm not saying editing is all bad, or something.)
	The story in question, BTW, is a 26-page DD epic which may
actually see the light of day not so long from now.  Stay tuned...

	David Gerstein
	<96dag at williams.edu>