Mike Barrier is alive and selling FunnyWorld

MVHaas@aol.com MVHaas at aol.com
Fri Nov 17 01:21:16 CET 1995

  I note in the classified section of Comics Buyers Guide #1150, that Mike
Barrier, the man who is really responsible for getting Barks fandom off the
ground in the late 60s-early 70s, is selling old issues of his early  70s
fanzine FunnyWorld. He's got #12 - $40; #13 - $35, #14 - $35, #15 - $30; $16
- $35. Prices seem a mite high but they are full of a lot of good stuff on
Disney and animation (all kinds) His address is Mike Barrier, 226 N. Saint
Asaph, Alexandria, VA. 22314.

  Nice to see the Donald as rural mailman story again. Since that's what I do
for a living, needless to say I identify right with Donald in this one (at
least for the first page, my route in the Corn Belt is not quite as strenuous
as the rest of the story)  One of Barks' strongest points was his ability to
make the many occupations Donald has seem 'real.'  I grew up on a farm and
Barks is the only one in comics who was able to write stories that had any
link with reality.  (Anyone who's ever raised chickens for eggs can identify
with the Omlet story.)

-- Merlin Haas  (Confound it! You bring nothing but bills, bills, bills!)