Walled towns

Bjorn-Are.Davidsen@s.prosjekt98.telenor.no Bjorn-Are.Davidsen at s.prosjekt98.telenor.no
Sun Nov 26 20:34:01 CET 1995

Todd wrote quite correctly that
>  in York, as in Quebec, there are modern buildings
> inside the wall along with the ancient ones. Then again,
> Lucca may be using that old marketing ploy of claiming to
> be one of a kind because most people won't question the
> assertion...

>From memory I can mention at least two contenders to
Lucca, the French town Carcassone and of course
Dubrovnovik (or what remains...). And I know there are more!
I've been to C. myself and its indeed complete, no modern
building (which of course means younger than the 15th
Century) inside at all. Part of the reason is that the inhabitants
moved their trade some hundred meters/yards away and
sat up a new town when the old one became obsolete (too
small and too weak to resist canons). For all planning to go
to Southern France I highly recommend the pittoresque
youth hostel inside the walls, as well as several nice
restaurants.

So always watch out for local marketing!

Bjo/rn Are