US 9

Egil Pettersen egil at telepost.no
Wed Oct 4 16:52:37 CET 1995

Several months ago there was a discussion here on the details Carl
Barks (and Don Rosa) put into their stories, and where they picked
them up. A few of the Norwegian members on this list complained about
the national costumes that Barks used in the story from US 9, "The
lemming with the locket". I have a few (?) comments on this:

That glorious time when Donald first visited Norway in US 9
(reprinted in US 104, US 179 and US 250), is well remembered between
Norwegian Donaldists. Most of you probably remember the story were
Scrooge had to follow a lemming to the Norwegian city "Herringtale"
to catch a lemming that had a locket with the code to his bin around
its neck. Scrooge got the locket back by the help of his nephews and
some Norwegian cheese that the lemming could not resist...

Interesting here is what inspired Barks to draw such exquisitly
beautiful pictures of the Norwegian landscape. In a letter that