Disney-comics digest #810.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Oct 10 04:48:00 CET 1995

TODD:
        I'm sitting in a whole different building than where my "studio" is,
so I can't turn around and dig out my old script and see if I had "world's
richest Duck" or "...man". But in that instance, as I said, it should have
been "man", due to the reference to the all-man roster. So, I should have
said "man". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
        Oh, heck, I'm curious. I'll hike over and look.
        I'm back. Anyone with a low boredom threshhold should skip the rest
of this paragraph (if not most anything I post!). In my original script it
says "man"... but in the script that my editor typed up (which is what is
sent with the photostats of the art), it says "duck". I proofread this
script, but failed to notice that switch. But why was it made? BECAUSE...
the editor and I disagreed on the best titles for the last two chapters. For
2 1/2 years I had always pictured the final chapter should be titled "The
Richest Duck in the World", but the editor wanted to use that title on
chapter XI -- therefore, he changed that near-closing line to match the
story title. His title for the final chapter was "The Recluse of McDuck
Mansion", which is a jim-dandy title, but I just had my lil' heart set on
"tRDitW". One reason he didn't like that title was that it violated my OWN
rule of all the titles having the form of "The (blankety-blank) of the
(blank)", and he wanted to preserve that form... whereas I violated the form
myownself and had a "from" and an "in" in the last two titles.
        Yow! That even bored *me*!

DAVID:
        Why on earth would you think *I* chose to use "Webby" and "Bubba
Duck" in that "DuckTales" script by my own choice? Yikes, what a thought.
(Was Webby actually in it? I've almost blotted the thing from my memory!) I
know that THEY stuck "Bubba" into the art and gave somebody else's line to
him -- heck, I didn't even know who that WAS, having never seen anymore than
the first few episodes of the series a year or two earlier. The only
"DuckTales" element that I was told to employ was "Launchpad", who isn't a
fraction as annoying as those others. And it was unavoidable to set the
story in this "McDuck Mansion" that I think also exists only in the
TV-cartoon version.