Disney-comics digest #814.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Oct 14 05:50:00 CET 1995

TODD:
        No, I don't stay too well informed on which of my stories Gladstone
is reprinting next. Mostly, I just wait for them to call and ask me for an
accompanying cover. I do know that they will use the "Lo$" episode "0" in U$
#297. Did you letter that? (I suspect not, eh?) What folks like David are
always reminding me is that I need to TELL them at Gladstone WHEN they are
allowed to use one of my stories -- they don't see the foreign editions and
wouldn't know, f'rinstance, that they can now use "The Incredible Shrinking
Tightwad". If I kept them informed on this, they could be using my stories
immediately after Egmont uses them, rather than when they notice it on their
own around a year later as it works now.

DAVID:
        Hm. Yes, $crooge does change his attitude in those added panels
where Bombie is chasing him on the deck of the boat. Partly, I'm searching
for a decent gag to stick into a scene where one is not needed. But I did
think $crooge was acting too cowardly and I felt it was just right to have
him stop and turn to face "death" rather than run like a Donald Duck. I
think my idea was that $crooge would not have feared Bombie at ALL except
that it was a touch more of the supernatural than he was used to, he was
always caught off-guard by Bombie's surprise appearances, and because Bombie
represented a shameful memory for him. Each meeting $crooge has with the old
guy in that very cramped episode is very brief, lasting only a minute or two
in real time. Once I started expanding one such scene, it immediately seemed
to me that a young $crooge McDuck runs from NO man, alive or deceased.
        But did you notice how especially muddy that added half-page was?
Perhaps, since it was a dark night, it didn't look so bad (?).