Movies, dimes and webs

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Tue Oct 17 08:39:37 CET 1995

ARTHUR & TOD:

> Does anyone know, if there are MORE movies that contain scenes,
> being based on Disney-comic-stories?

Maybe "Sherrif of Bullet Valley" is inspired by Western-movies? (And
maybe also some other Barksian Western-stories?)

TOMMY:

> I figure that Scrooge is so worried about loosing his dime, that he
> pays little attention to the rest of his fortune, much of which is
> managed by him alone (why spend money hiring more managers than he
> needs).

That's almost literally to what I was/am thinking about the whole
dime. I think that this is the only way to explain both Scrooge's
"luck" from the dime *and* Scrooge's hard working in the Klondike.

And I think it's not very difficult to understand Scrooge's "love"
for the dime. The dime has *always* been with him. And, in fact, the
dime is the only thing that survived from his early youth (as
described by Don in Lo$). No wonder that Scrooge looses his self-
confidence, and at least gets worried, when his dime is gone.

My idea is that the whole Magica-thing was created by Barks to
continue with making stories at the end of his career. I really don't
like it that, nowadays, a lot of Scrooge-stories are filled with that
"Magica-gets-dime-Magica-looses-dime"-stuff.

Of course there are some very interesting post-Barks Magica-stories,
I think that Don's "On a Silver Platter" is a good example, and also a
long (Rota?) story which was called "The Money Sea" in it's Dutch
publication (KJUO43/I-A-215).

DAVID:

> I wrote earlier to describe the WWW page I now have available (...)
> In the next few days, I'll add some previews of coming Gladstones,
> too.

I hope that you will keep on sending these previews to the club. I
don't know if I'm one of the few, but I don't have a direct-access
(which means that I can only send and recieve messages, no "net-
surfing").

Much greetings and have a nice day!

--- Daniel