Disney-comics digest #823.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Mon Oct 23 16:27:17 CET 1995

	AAARGH!  I should have read Digest #823 before replying to
#822... now I know that my descriptions of the Gladstones aren't
really needed (although Augie, ya missed the 1-pager in USA 35).

	PER:
	Mickey's comment on Clarabelle (1930) came before the Groucho
quote, in "Duck Soup" (1933, isn't it?).  But maybe Groucho also uses
the quote in "The Cocoanuts" (1929), which I haven't seen in years.
	In any event, that's Walt Disney himself writing for Mickey
when he says that.  WD's own conception of Mickey has him constantly
letting out puns and wisecracks:  "A starch in time keeps the worm
from turning" ... "Lafayette, we are here!" ... and of course my
favorite, "The only way for anyone to get *ahead* of Mickey Mouse --
is to run in front of him!"
	Kinda gives the lie to that 1934 character synopsis that says
"Mickey is not a clown... he is neither silly nor dumb."  While
Mickey's no dope, he has a good sense of humor in the cartoon films
UNTIL 1934.  Luckily, Gottfredson's MM remained enjoyable after that.

	David Gerstein
	<96dag at williams.edu>
	"Heh, heh, heh!  A nice stroke of business!"