Disney-comics digest #825.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Oct 25 13:39:00 CET 1995

ARTHUR:
        my meaning must have gotten lost in another of the run-on sentences
that I use. I meant that the original version of that story, the original
being titled "Vortex", was so much more complex that I could derive another
Duck story from out of it. And what your local edition titled "Journey to
the Center of the Earth" was their title for the story *I* called "The
Universal Solvent".

TODD:
        I'm about as sure as I can be that that other letterer had correct
scripts. I supplied the original scripts or proofread the ones Gladstone
had. And the mistakes he made were of the type that someone would have had
to retyped the script and gone out of their way to put those mistakes in.
        There's nothing wrong with making mistakes, of course -- but that
letterer made some doozies, especially in "The Duck Who Never Was", where
the whole story (the entire ISSUE) is based on Donald's birthday being June
9, and that letterer puts into my story that his birthday is September 6
(6/9 > 9/6), and makes it look like *I* made the error. But I can pull some
boners, too, and do so often -- in chapter 11 of the "Lo$", I had $crooge
with two pairs of glasses (which the Gladstone editor corrected, though it
appeared wrong all through Europe). And in chapter 8 in the splash panel
somebody put the Atlantic Ocean where the Pacific Ocean is supposed to be
(nudge, nudge).

GREG:
        I think Barks was just pulling a funny name that sounded like a
state name out of thin air. But if you try to read something into it, I
useta imagine it referred to the fact that Duckburg seems to have the
impossible combination of the weather of both California and Minnesota.,
especially in the older stories where there were frequently palm trees in
the background in one issue, and a blizzard in the next.

JANNE:
        Okay, since I leave in just 2 days, I guess it's time to mention my
travel dates again.
        I'll be at the Lucca (Italy) International comics expo and elsewhere
in the region on Oct. 28 to Nov. 4. On Nov. 5-7 I'll be in Oslo, but this is
just a side-trip between main destinations, and I don't know if the editor
has anything planned that will put me in access of Duck fans. But on Nov. 7
- 13 I'll be at the Helsinki comic convention, and in other appearances in
the area. I'll be back home on the 14th.