L&T of $McD - German Edition Vol. VI in stores

Lutz Koch 73247.1103 at compuserve.com
Mon Sep 4 12:12:40 CEST 1995

The final volume of Ehapa's German edition of Don Rosa's "The Life and Times of
Scrooge McDuck", containing chapters 11 and 12, is now available in German comic
stores and many general bookstores. Unlike the earlier chapters, these two had
not been previously published in the Micky Maus weekly.

COMIC SPEEDLINE, a bimonthly German magazine, commemorates the event in the
August/September issue with a 6-page article which shortly describes Don Rosa's
career since his first Duck story in 1987. One page - bearing the headline
"Stages of his Life" - is dedicated to $crooge himself, summarizing the various
periods of his life as described in the 12 chapters, and also mentions the
Barksian sources (first U.S. and first German printing) for many key events. The
final entry is "1947-67" (falsely called "the fourth quarter of his life" when
it's actually one fifth...), and to prove the validity of the year 1967 as the
time of $crooge's death, the article also contains Don Rosa's famous drawing of
Donald, Daisy and HDL standing at $crooge's grave ("1867-1967").

Also just published in Germany: The Directory of Carl Barks' Complete Comic
Works ("Carl Barks Werkverzeichnis der Comics"), by Johnny Grote (Ed.), 400 pg.,
b/w, DM 49,80 (Ehapa).
This book contains a chronological listing of all U.S. first printings (Four
Color, DD, U$, WDC, Specials), showing the cover of each comic book and the
first panel of each story, plus summaries of all stories, and also mentions all
U.S. and German reprints as well as all known modifications that have been made
to the stories on either their original or subsequent printings.
-----------------------------------

So much for the "newscast" part of this message. :)
DON:
Congratulations on chapters 11 & 12. They are fantastic. (Yeah, I know, I always
say I love your stuff, and you are already bored hearing me say it... <g>) No
spoilers here, as many on the list might not yet have seen these stories, but
you definitely hit the right notes. I'd been wondering for a long time how you
would portray the middle-aged $crooge who's already rich and still wants to get
richer, and I must say you did it the way I had hoped you would. I'm not
surprised that they didn't print these two in the MM weekly.
Next time I read this album I think I'll have Bernard Herrmann's "Citizen Kane"
score play in the background. That should be a nice touch... ;)

--Lutz