Unsubscriptions, SmartList, name change???

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Mon Sep 4 17:10:37 CEST 1995

On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Per Starback wrote:
> It's evident that many people who subscribe to this mailing list think
> it's something that it isn't.  They are mostly interested in Disney
> animation, or Disney whatever, and ignore the later part of the name.
> Disappointed they notice that we only talk about some dull comics
> here, and quickly want to unsubscribe.

I have been considering this problem, too, and I think that a name change
should be a last resort. Perhaps a better method would be to handle
subscription requests in two steps. Step one: When someone sends a
request, he (she) gets in return a message explaining in very explicit
terms that this mailing list is NOT about Disney animation, Disney
general, et c, pointing those who are interested in that in the right
general direction and asking them to send ANOTHER command to the
SmartList server. This new command will effectively make them members of
the list. Would be worth a try, methinks...

  /F