Disney-comics digest #780.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Sep 10 07:29:00 CEST 1995

DAVID:
        Hi! No, I don't think I need any German comics, at least none that I
know of -- but that's the problem. I really don't know which ones have my
stories until I see them. But I have two file cabinet drawers filled with
foreign editions of my stories, spilling over now into a third. It's all I
can do to keep up with new editions, so I'd better assume I have enough
stock in the older German issues. Not that I don't need back-stock in other
editions, but I just might have all the German ones.
        Is that what I'd said they changed in Gladstone's use of chapter XI?
I can't recall now. I just remembered it was very minor. I just HOPE they
print it better (or get better photostats) than they did on that chapter X!
Gad, that looked bad! So murky! When they reprint that in the album series
next year, I'll make sure they have better art to place their color film on,
if that's how it works.
        Oh, I also know this: "Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies" will be
used in UNCLE $CROOGE #297, one issue after chapter XII. "ODaDaD" is
"episode 0" in the true sense of the term, which has already become
hackneyed in American comic books now. But "ODaDaD" was a story of $crooge's
childhood that I was working on when Egmont decided they wanted me to do the
"Lo$"... it's told as a flashback, not as happening in "real time" as are
the "Lo$" stories, so it's the true precursor to the series... and one of
the rare instances when I kinda liked one of my own stories.
        By the way, as I've said before, don't anticipate chapter XI so
greatly! You might not like it -- it's very odd. Don't look forward so much
to how "good" it might be, just look forward to seeing how I managed to pull
it off at ALL.
        Scarpa is your favorite Italian Disney artist? What about Marco
Rota??? I think he's the best Disney Duck artist of all right now... and
perhaps ever. And then there's that guy who does the new MM stories for
Egmont -- I think his name is something like Ferolli? He's sensational! I
get embarrassed when I look at art by people like that!
        And you know... I think the answer to whether or not $crooge has an
accent is entirely up to the reader. To ME he doesn't have an accent since
while I've read those stories since my youngest days, it never occurred to
me that he did (in those days I didn't know he was Scottish or what a
"Scottish" might have been). I try to explain it to myself now that he has
no accent since he's been a citizen of the WORLD much longer than he grew up
in Scotland.

PETER:
        And say hello back to Dick Brobeck for me. (Dick Brobeck, for you
eavesdroppers, is the man who organizes my publicity trips to Sweden).

DAVE R.:
        Since you sounded interested, I just took the long hike downstairs
and the length of the house then back up over the garage (to my so-called
"studio-office") to check that PICSOU. They titled your story "Un Guide a la
Hauteur", which I think means "A Guide to the Heights" or something. Could
be a French idiom or expression, or maybe not... we'd need a Frenchman to
tell us.
        Where have you been hiding in Oakland and SD this past year? We
didn't have our usual nightcap at the Horton Grand.

KATHY:
        Well, since I just took that hike to get that info far Dave R., I
was too pooped to go look up which issue of UNCLE $CROOGE featured "Cash
Flow". If no one else says anything, I'll look it up before next time. But
it appeared in an issue of UNCLE $CROOGE around #225 in 1987 or 88.