Disney-comics digest #789.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Sep 19 06:52:00 CEST 1995

DANIEL vE.:
        I don't letter my stories because that's not something that
interests me. I used to letter all my own "amateur" comics, but rather than
teach myself more uniform lettering and spending all that time lettering the
stuff, I'd rather leave that to the experts and be about doing new stories.
Besides, when the country's top letterer (Todd Klein) is asking Gladstone
for the privilege of lettering my stories, that sure is no impetus for me to
try to learn to do it myself!

FRANK:
        I make marginal notes on my art when something must be colored a
special color for the sake of the story. Beyond that, I sometimes put
PLEADING marginal notes asking that some dramatic lighting be employed --
but those notes are always ignored because (as I've said) the Egmont
color-computer-technicians just aren't getting paid to do that sort of
artistry -- in fact, I'm sure they are told NOT to spend extra time doing
that sort of busywork. That's the main reason I put so much awful
cross-hatching and shading on my art -- if I don't try to add the lighting
that the colorist won't, it won't get lighted properly.
        Note that when I did "Hearts of the Yukon" directly for Gladstone,
in the burning ballroom scene, I put in NO shading (crosshatching) since I
knew Sue Daigle-Leach would do it up right. If that had been a story for
Egmont, I would have COVERED those Ducks with crosshatching! We'll see how
Egmont colors those scenes next year whenever they reprint it.