Restoring the Barks Giveaways

Greg Kay kay at vis.mu.OZ.AU
Tue Sep 19 15:21:25 CEST 1995

Hi Everyone,

Although David has pretty much covered the Giveaway restoration
situation, I would like to add my 2 cents worth concerning restoring
the Barks giveaways. Using modern technology --- a fast PC with lots of memory
and a high resolution scanner --- it would be fairly easy to scan an
original giveaway into high resolution files and then very easily
remove the color. Any paint program can easily remove color pixels.
In theory, you should finish up with at least something as good as
a high quality black and white XEROX. Now, given that Gladstone use
'Computer Aided Coloring' processes, it would seem that this sort
of computer aided restoration would be an easy extension of what they
already do.

To pursue this any further, we really could do with some comments from
Gladstone (or whoever knows) about their computer aided coloring process.

Greg Kay.