American duck stories

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Sat Sep 23 17:41:48 CEST 1995

Hi again!

>can affect the story though - since Halloween, as far as I know, is ONLY
>an American holiday, I doubt if any European stories would use it.  But

Correct, but they try to translate them anyhow. I think the best results
have been when they just call it by the correct name and translate "Trick or
treat" more or less directly. The worst attempts I've seen are with "The
Peanuts", which in my local newspaper (Adresseavisen) has (at least the last
years) been transformed into a celebration of a local saint (St. Olav). OK,
the timing isn't _too_ bad (he is celebrated on 29.th july), but it doesn't
make any more sense to anyone I think, to see traditions you've never heard
about before around a celebration that you _have_ heard about before! Better
to let the celebration itself also be something new! I can't remember haven
seen any reactions to this by christians, BTW, but _I_ would feel it was a
rather humiliating treatment of a saint if I believed in those kind of things...

Knut