Reply to Jakob

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun Sep 24 07:54:15 CET 1995

JAKOB:

Is Ludwig HDL's father?  #1
===========================

I don't believe that Ludwig is HDL's father. But if there is no
evidence that he simply *can't* be their father, everyone is free to
believe that he is. (of course)

> The cartoon is called "Donald's Diary". This is one of those
> cartoons where the characters play something that would look like
> a short-movie. They wair different clothes and doesn't look like
> the Ducks we know. In the "movie" Donald is to marry a Duck-girl.
> I'm not quite sure if the Duckgirl is "played" by Daisy. When
> Donald arrive at the girls home he is being introduced to the
> family. The Duckgirl says: "Well, meet my mother!" (Or something
> like that) And the mother reply "Huh? Whatsa name??!". Donald
> answers "Donald Duck, ma'am!". The Duckgirl says "Here's my
> father!". Ludwig von Drake look very quick up from bellow a chair.
> And finally the Duckgirl says "And here's my brothers, Huey, Dewey
> and Louie". Donald says "Hallo!" with a nice voice. That's it.

I don't think that a cartoon can prove how things are. There are also
cartoons in which is clearly said that Donald is an *actor*. This
means that a cartoon sometimes needs roles to be *played* by persons
from the Disney "cast". So, if they need some little children, they
use HDL as children. If they need a father, they simple take another
Disney creation to be the father. That's why I don't think that one
cartoon in which Ludwig incidental is their father, simply proves that
he is also their father in his "real" live.

Also, *if* this cartoon shows how live really is, then it would mean
that the Duckgirl introduces Donald to his own *sister* (the mother).
This makes the Duckgirl being Donald's *niece*. This is another
reason for me to say that his cartoon is only a roleplay.

I am not saying that all cartoons are simply Disney characters
playing roles, but there are some of them is which this is clearly
the case. Examples of such cartoons are "Christmas Carol", "Mickey
and the Beanstalk" and the cartoons in which Goofy is a father and
even married.

American colloquialism
======================

>> Um, I may have opened a can of worms with this little (extremely
>> little) that only Americans might understand. De-flowering is an
>> American colloquialism which I will not explain here, and "love
>> ducklings" is an adaption of another American phrase "love child"
>> which refers to a child born out of wedlock. My Puritan American
>> heritage makes me ashamed for having brought it up. Apologies. ;-)

> No, I won't forgive you for anything before you explained what
> de-flowering means. ;-)  I don't think that anybody would care if
> it's an ugly explanation since nobody cares about the hard
> language that suddenly came up here.

I don't know which subject brought these words up. So I might be very
out of tune in giving an explanation of "deflowering", but my Oxford
Dictionary (second edition, 1974) says:

Deflow'er (verb transitive):  Deprive of virginity, ravage, spoil,
strip of flowers.

So Jakob, happy? ;-)

Is Ludwig HDL's father?  #2  (David & Jakob)

>>   Careful! ["Donald's Dairy"] is one of those weird cartoons with
>> everyone playing roles! This same cartoon shows HDL as being
>> _DAISY'S BROTHERS_ -- the Drake-like character is Daisy's father!
>> So I don't think this is canonical.

Ai! This old quote already tells about cartoons being roleplays, so I
could have spared me the trouble in telling this at the beginning of
my letter. Oh me, oh my! ;-)

Back to what Jakob replied to this quote:

> Yes, I know. But take a look at the Duck-girl. Do you actually think
> she looks like Daisy? With long, blonde hair? (...) It might as well
> be the girl Donald met at the beach in Barks "Lifeguard Daze". Barks
> made this story before inventing Daisy. And that girl actually look
> more like the girl in the cartoon "Donald's Diary" than Daisy does.
> And in that comic the Duckgirl invite Donald to "The Dance" and
> she'll "save very dance for Donald". Maybe this is Donald's first
> date with that girl that turned out to become a wedding in "Donald's
> Diary". I think the cartoon shows Donald after the event in the
> comic.

First, the Duckling of the lifeguard-story looks as less like the
Duckling of "Donald's Dairy" as the latter one looks like Daisy.

Second, Barks probably wasn't even thinking of this cartoon while
making his "baywatch" story. Maybe he even wasn't aware of this
cartoon at all.

So, what's the sense of combining this cartoon with this story?

> Ludwig von Drake *is* the father of HDL! Do you have any objection
> to this now? Does *anybody* have an objection to this now?

Well, at least *I'm* objecting. ;-)

Danny Coenen
============

At the moment Danny isn't a member of our club anymore. :-(

He went to the U.S.A. for about a year. Maybe he suddenly pops up
again here, having a new mail-adress, but I don't think this is going
to be the case (because he already would have re-appeared here then).

Carl Barks on CD
================

> The CD consist of an interview between Carl Barks and Donald Duck
> (Clarence Nash and Tony Anselmo).

Clarence Nash? As far as I know this man is *dead*. I've heard that
he died somewhere in the late '80s. How can his voice being included
on the CD? The only possibilities are that the CD is recorded before
he died, or that they used his voice from archives (which I don't
think).

> It's really funny! I think everybody should buy this book "The
> Life of Donald Duck" and this CD! It's great! It's a must for
> *everyone's* collection, and I'm proud owning it! Go buy it! You
> have nothing to loose! It's sure worth every cent!

How much "cents" does this book cost? Was it a limited edition? Is
Carl Barks telling some new facts on it, or is it just a funny
"radio play"? Can you also tell me more about the book?

Yep, I know, a lot of questions. ;-)

Set X of the CBL
================

>> But then they also printed that sketch [of the Loup Garou cover] in
>> set X to meet the owners of the first printing [of set II in which
>> this sketch was forgotten].

> Set X??! Is this a set that collect every "forgotten" stuff of
> the CBL or something? Never heard of it.

Maybe set "X" sounds very mysterious, but in fact I meant "set 10".
(The CBL used Roman numerals for their sets.) This set includes the
the last WDC-stories (WDC 230 - 312).

They also used this set for publishing material which they forgot in
the previous sets. (It also contains a list of mistakes in the
articles of the previous sets.)

Jippes re-inking Woodchuck stories
==================================

> And I can also tell you, Daniel, that Jippes IS to re-ink every
> single one of those Junior Woodchucks-stories! Hip-hip: hooray!

I'm still thinking that seeing is believing, but I really hope that
you're right. When I spoke to Jippes 4 years ago on a comic
convention he wasn't sure about it.

He thought that it was too much work to do *all* the Woodchuck
material. (Don't forget that it's about 300 pages!) He said to me
that the re-inking isn't just a matter of tracing Barks' sketches,
there's also a lot of work in rebuilding the sketches with the right
"3D" look (perspective, and so on).

BTW. It seems that Jippes is working from CBL-xeroxes, because he
told me (while explaining his working-method) that he first had to
enlarge the tiny sketches to very large ones with a xeroxer.

Greetings,

--- Daniel

 - "What's a tragedian?"   - "An actor who doesn't get paid!"