Harry, David, Jakob, Mike

Knut Hunstad Knut.Hunstad at veg.sintef.no
Mon Sep 25 23:20:57 CET 1995

I'm rather in a talkative mood these days, ain't I?

>Did you ever wonder how much of your education comes from Barks-
>stories?

No, that's something I realized very early! DD&Co. and Asterix have been
major input for me in many fields. After some rounds of Trivial Pursuit
lately my mother has finally started to realize this, too! I never fail to
tell when I know something because I've read about it in some comic book...

>The article about this included the line that "it's no wonder that a
>lot of young Barks readers became for example engineers and
>professors".

Well, might it be the other way around? That it's the "engineering"-mind who
is naturally drawn to Barks' (and now also Don's) stories? Which came first,
the hen or the egg?

>Well, just look at Don's former profession! ;-)

It surely shows in some of his stories. But I can't quite remember _what_
kind of an engineer he is? How about it Don, would you mind telling us what
kind of job you quit when you started doing comics full time?

Just to round up with a question both comic, duck and physics related: In
"The fliegende Hollaender", wouldn't it be more likely that the boat was
totally covered with ice? I mean, they just sort of dig up a hole trough the
"wall" and enter the boat, it seems. In reality they would have to dig out
the boat piece for piece, right? But that trick is used several times, I
know, and it would make a rather boring story just digging and digging, I
guess...

And one more thing, while I'm at it: I never was quite sure whether "The
flying dutchman" is just a book with a story about a (previously) fictional
legend or a book based on a real legend. And if the latter is the case, to
what extent the book differs from the legend. Anyone able to elaborate on that?

Knut