Barks and other artists

Georgios Balanikas gbalanik at med.auth.gr
Sun Dec 5 20:43:25 CET 1999

>And besides, I think all of us agree that no one ever has

managed
>to do a better Disney comics story than Carl Barks.  Some have come
>*very* close (i.e. Don Rosa) but none have consistantly matched his
>level>

RODNEY

  You will allow me to have my reservations about this remark.
Don Rosa have not come *very * close. He has put a totally new dimension in
Disney comic art. Maybe his art has always as a starting point and source of
inspiration  Carl Barks'  legacy, but also  has brought an unexpected
breezing freshness not only in the world of the Disney Comics but also in
our general perception for the Comic art.
  His Ducks are a part of a Grand scene of happenings and moments in History
,without of course leaving them from their protagonistic role.
The background of these stories is a meticulous and  overdetailed (but not
overloaded)  decor, that can stay alone ,waiting for the protagonists (could
be even others, except the Ducks).
   If it's allowed for me to make a paralleling, this art reminds me of
Franco Zeffirelli's stagings where the artist puts so wonderful and amazing
details that has drew the critics against him ,accusing that distracts the
attention of the audience (in Opera) or the spectators (in Cinema ), away
from the Music or the plot and Acting.
    So, I will Never make a comparison between Barks and Rosa or even the
other contemporary artists ,because everyone has his own style and
perception  and everyone has moved on a step ahead this wonderful art.
(Actually nobody compares Zeffirelli with his master and mentor Visconti)
  Of course these thoughts are absolutely my personal view and I don't
expect everyone in this list to agree with me ,even Don himself.

BTW , OLE,  the word "periodical " is English but clearly from Greek origin
.
(Periodikos = something that is repeating  in a defined time interval )

Georgios Balanikas