Super Duck (no disney)

SRoweCanoe@aol.com SRoweCanoe at aol.com
Sun Dec 12 15:42:34 CET 1999

In a message dated 12/7/99 6:01:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dcml-admin at numerus.LING.UU.SE writes:

> A few questions for my friend on the list about SUPER DUCK....
>  1. Did he begin as a straight rip off of Donald? Were there any story
swipes?
>  2.I like the surreal edge of some of the mid-period Super Duck stories.
Any
> idea   who wrote them?
>  3. Were there many different artists?

Super Duck first started in Jolly Jingles Comics from 1943-1944
  his own title ran from 1944-1960.  His nephew, Fauntleroy had his own comic
annual  in 1950 - 1952.

he started out as a superhero comic - I have seen these covers, but even the
middle 1940s comics I have, he is not a superhero!
  I have seen no swipes of Donald, and until you mentioned it, never even
thought of him as a Donald-type.  But that bad temper of is does seem like
the cartoon Donald, doesn't it?

Following creators are known:
  Al Fagaly       (writer?/ artist) c44-52-  (maybe up to c56)
  Dave Higgins  (inks?) c43-c44
  Jack Mendolsohn  (writer) c48-c49
  Dexter Taylor    (writer/artist)  1957
  Ken Hultgren (writer?/artist)  1958