New US Donald story

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 01:04:41 CEST 2000

Hi Everyone,

Steven Rowe beat me to the punch.  When I discovered
the new Donald story on Sunday, I imagine my jaw did
the proverbial slam on the floor.  Naturally I forgot
to bring the book with me to my office where I have
e-mail access.

On the positive side it is a story in Disney
Adventures with "REAL" Disney characters - Donald and
Ludwig von Drake.  It has been years since we saw
anything in Disney Adventures resembling a Disney duck
(or goof ...or chipmunk ...or, well, I hope you get
the idea).

On the negative side, it seems to be a not very well
written Americanized version of the Paperinik (for the
Italians)/Phantomias (for the Germans) adventures.
Ludwig is playing the disembodied voice guiding Donald
to the super-mysterious Ducklair Tower (a carbon copy
of the original) where he needs Don to help him save
the Earth.  Howvever, to persuade Donald to his higher
instincts in a more physical manner is a wise-cracking
bee (yes, you read correctly, a bee), named Spike (who
resembles the bee from the Donald and the bee animated
shorts of the late 40's - "Bee on Guard", "Slide,
Donald, Slide", "Bee at the Beach"' etc.).  Donald,
when attired in the suit left for him at the Ducklair
Tower laboratory/headquarters, becomes the "Duck
Avenger" (somebody thought for about two seconds to
come up with *that* name).  Part One ends with Donald
in front of a portal where Ludwig is telling him he
will be transported to a planet named, if memory
serves correctly, Zandarr, whose inhabitants want to
destroy us.

I'm assuming from the names in the story credits that
they are all Americans, so there doesn't seem to be
any acknowledgment in the credits to the original
creators.  My final word is that we're getting the
usual half-baked offering from Disney whenever the
company and comics come together.  I'll be interested
to hear the opinions of other list members.

Take care everyone,

Chuck Munson