The Golden Christmas Tree, and the way how Carl Barks did his work

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Aug 4 16:19:57 CEST 2000

DON ROSA, 3 AUGUST 2000:

> [Golden Christmas Tree] Then the story goes on to involve Donald in
> a very boring tale of talking trees and "saving all the world's
> Christmas Trees" and other really too-cute, too-obvious, surreal
> stuff. I never liked that story and I was delighted to find out in
> later years that Barks did not write it, [...]

Just a short note, more is known: The editors had made Carl Barks
do some changes in the fight sequences between Donald and the witch.
The original version is lost.

DON ROSA, 2 AUGUST 2000:

> Remember this Duckburg world  is not a "Disney World"... it was
> created by Dell and by Barks. I find it's a bigger challenge and
> a more satisfying accomplishment to produce (hopefully) entertaining
> stories under such limiting parameters of logic and actual history.
> Plus, that's the way Barks did it (unless ordered to do otherwise
> by his editors) and that's the way I likes it.

Just like my own above note on "The Golden Christmas Tree", I find
this is a much too short summary on how Barks did his work.

I'll call it a fabulous miracle if there's even only one person in this
universe who can tell me (or anyone else) even half the knowlegde on
how Barks did it. (Or on Rembrandt, or on Bach, etc. etc.)

As an artist yourself, you would be very disappointed if you would find
a book about yourself, containing only one page saying "This is how Don
Rosa makes his stories." And I would fully agree with you on that.

Please don't take me wrong about this matter. The reason why I say this
is that there are many people who believe you on your word in what you
say. It's a position of dignity, something to be proud of. So, *please*
try to be a bit careful when you write about other persons than yourself.

(It's not the first time that you write like you did in what I've quoted
from your posting. So, that's why I'm saying this all.)

I have the feeling (also out of my own experience, which indeed was
a huge mistake from me) that you expect that from other people, too,
when they talk about you. And again, I would fully agree with you on that.

Best wishes (and I really mean that!)

--- Daniel