Cousin Gladstone

Wouter Wouter at agroweb.nl
Fri Aug 4 17:39:39 CEST 2000

After Scrooge McDuck, Carl Barks created another family-member of Donald who would re-appear frequently: Gladstone Gander.
But when was his first appereance? As far as I know, it was the story about him and Donald making bets about swimming in the winter and drinking loads of lemonade in 1948, but I can have missed a story earlier.
What I noticed was that Gladstone was reasonable taller than Donald, which makes sence, since he's a goose. But there are a lot of storys in which they have the same seize. Has Carl Barks himself made storys in which their size is different or just other animators?
And how about his luck? In the first storys Gladstone hasn't got an unusual amount of luck, he's just quite lazy. When did this luck thing get along?
Just some questions I've asked myself, maybe you can help me with it"?