Digest #231

Thierry Fernand favio31 at caramail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:55:45 CEST 2000

Don Rosa:

> all three [Ludwig von Drake, Moby Duck and Fethry] are
> still "officially dead" in the Duck Universe

(I assume you meant that they are "dead" for Egmont.)
In the pocket book Mickey-Parade, a new Fethry story from
Italy is being published almost each month, with Fethry
usually "teaming" with Donald & Scrooge. I like them a lot,
and I assume Fethry is still very popular in Italy. I was
told "Zio Paperone" do publish some Fethry short stories (the
original Fethry - who is American as you know - drawn by Al
Hubbard).

You said you would not use "Fethry" in a new story - is that
because Fethry is not a character from Barks' universe or
just because he is unknown in the USA (as I think he is). Or
just because you're not used to him and would not know what
to do with him?

> But I LIKE Ludwig Von Drake (I sneak him into the crowd
> scenes in my stories sometimes, though I'm not allowed to
> use him as a character)

Ludwig is used in Italy as well, at least he was a year ago.
(Which means that maybe you would be allowed to make a Ludwig
story for Disney Italia).

Does any member know if any of those Fethry and Ludwig von
Drake Italian stories are being published in Egmont countries
by the way? If this is the case, how do Egmont explain that
they want to ban the character in their Danish production,
but publish Italian stories with them? This looks like a very
odd attitude to me.

Favio

Disney Comics Online:
  http://members.forez.com/disneyonline