Carl

Donald Markstein dmarkstein at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 26 14:58:44 CEST 2000

You'd think I'd have been prepared for this. The man was 99 years old, and
word went out weeks ago that his health was failing. So you'd think...

I'm glad he lived. I'm glad he created the stories he did, and I'm glad he
got such satisfaction from having created them.

I'm glad he lived to see his many fans learn his name, and to hear how much
he and his work meant to us. I'm glad he enjoyed a long, healthy retirement,
full of the honor and acclaim that a man of his accomplishments deserves.
I'm glad he had a chance to see his fame spread all over the world, and his
name embedded in text written in dozens of different languages -- in
everything from children's comic books to scholarly treatises.

I'm glad he could see the children and grandchildren of his original fans
grow up loving his work

I'm glad he lived to see the shadow that hovered around him during his last
few years lift. I'm glad he had a chance for a quiet, friendly chat with Don
Rosa a couple of years back.

Glad. That's what I am -- glad of all those things. I keep telling myself.

 Quack, Don

Read The Daily Quack, posted Monday thru Saturday:
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=112847