More thoughts for Carl Barks

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Sun Aug 27 13:18:46 CEST 2000

At first, I thought I wouldn't want to comment on Carl passing
away, so many people that had known him intimately would make
commemorations and eulogies, I thought, what could I ever add
to that ?

But then the flow of messages to this list made me change my
mind... all were so moving, and showing all the affection Carl
has earned during his long career and life, both as an author
and a human being, and I realized I should pay a hommage, too,
no matter how humble...

Well, I particularly liked the "mountain" metaphore from John
Lustig, that's exactly how I felt about Carl for many years,
he was Great and Immutable... perhaps I had even started to
take him for granted, a bit...

Then, the sad news about his health came, the author disappeared,
and the man appeared to me in all his, well, humanity...
I suddenly felt a real urge to communicate with Carl... I felt I
just couldn't let him go without letting him know what his stories
had meant to me in over 30 years, and, well, you all know...

What, exactly, I wrote to Carl doesn't matter a bit, here, I'm
sure my message wasn't any different than hundreds similar ones
he's received in the past months, and I'm very grateful to
Gerry Tank for all the care he took in having those messages
printed and delivered to him...

It just makes me feel a bit better, knowing he's had, in his
last days, yet another testimony of the greatness and true
importance of his work, this great man who was once, as reported
in an interview, even a bit ashamed of confessing to new
acquaintances that he earned a living doing funny animals...

As Don Markstein said, we should be glad thinking about Carl's
legacy, which makes him truly immortal... or at least try to
be...

no cheers, today

Eta Beta