Barks writer of McSavage's Parrot gag

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sun Dec 3 05:26:21 CET 2000

Regarding Daniel van Eijmeren's comment that Barks submitted a 1-page gag
which was (originally) slated for DD OS 356 in 1951, and it may be the
Parrot gag penciled and inked by Frank mcSavage:

Even though a gag or story is slated for a given comic book issue before,
or at the time of submission, it may be diverted to use in an earlier or
later issue of that title or even another title; or it may even end up
unused.  This happened several (or even many) times at Western during the
1950s and 1960s.  For example:  Barks' Dogcatcher story (probably
originally 8 pages) and 3 gag pages (DD 45) originally intended to be
placed together with his 24 page "Hondorica" story (DD 46); and 10-page
"Lost Peg Leg Mine" (DD 52), orignally slated for WDC & S 203.  We really
have no way to know if any of the 3 gags that were drawn by McSavage in DD
356 were written by Barks given the information we have now.  Perhaps
someone can ask Chase Craig, who (I believe) was Barks editor at that time.
 But, he is 85 years old, and probably wouldn't be able to remember a
single gag submitted 50 years ago, out of many thousands that were printed
during his editorship.

Regarding Daniel's statement that the Donald would ask the Parrot to repeat
the same line:  I definately agree, but that does not mean that all of
Donald's balloon's had to be identical (as I've demonstrated in my own
redrawn version - which I hope will soon be available for DCML members to
see on a website).  I believe Donald would add comments of disgust and
pleading along with his repitition of the desired Parrot's line.

My "instinct" that the Parrot gag was not a Barks gag (at least, not as it
appeared in print), is a gut feeling with no more chance of being likely
than any other opinion or guess.  I agree that it is interesting to
postulate on this subject, but we will never know for sure, until we get
more concrete information.

Rob Klein